Sligo

A stirring appeal for devotion to the Rosary was made by Father Peyton when he addressed a great gathering from all over Connaught at the showgrounds Sligo on Sunday, May 30th 1954.
The day was in some way a compensation for the poor weather closing the other Connaught meeting of the Crusade.
The sun shone down warmly on a wonderful scene of colour and devotion as the Rosary was recited and the crowd of about 20,000 joined in hymns.

Father Peyton arrived at the grounds accompanied by the Bishop of Elphin, Most Rev. Dr. Hanly (Seen speaking) and a number of other clergy of the diocese. He was greeted by army buglers and an F.C. A Guard of Honour drawn up in front of a special alter in the grounds presented arms.

Over 3,00 children from schools in Sligo and the surrounding districts, in white and blue dresses or school uniforms, were gathered around the alter.

A pageant of 500 Children of Mary wearing their cloaks, formed the letter M around the statue of Our Lady