Opening Day in Tuam

Father Peyton, with the Archbishop Of Tuam Most Rev. Dr. Walsh:Very REv. T Garde, O.P Provincial and Rev G. Keenan, O.P National Director of the Rosary Confraternity, St Saviour's Dublin.

” On Sunday April 25th 1954 Thousands of people thronged the GAA Stadium in Tuam where the Archbishop of Tuam most Rev. Dr. Walsh, opened the Family Rosary Crusade Rally.

From all over the Archdiocese people were arriving all day and hundreds of motor cars lined the roads approaching the town. In Tuam for more than an hour before the rally began hundreds of men, women and children formed and walked in procession to the stadium reciting the Rosary as they went.

About two hundred Aran Islanders, led by Very Rev T. Varley arrived earlier at GAlway on the Dun Aengus and travelled to Tuam by train.

At the Stadium a special alter had been erected at one end of the playing field.”

A long procession of women approaching the meeting.

The crowded stadium in Tuam.

On the field the children formed a “living” Rosary.