About the Centre

The Fr. Patrick Peyton Memorial Co. Ltd was incorporated on 25th June 1997 to develop and operate a Memorial Centre to the late Fr. Patrick Peyton C.S.C. (1909 – 1992). Attymass parish being the birthplace of Fr. Peyton was selected as the location for the Memorial Centre. The site was originally parochial grounds and was donated to the company. Construction costs were met by Holy Cross Family Ministries U.S.A.(of which Fr. Peyton was the founder) , donations from friends and relatives of Fr. Peyton and an enterprise grant from the local authority.

The Memorial Centre was officially opened and dedicated on 10th October 1998 by the then bishop of Achonry Most Rev. Thomas Flynn D.D.

The main objectives of the centre are:

  • To continue the Mission of Fr. Peyton in the promotion of prayer, especially family prayer and the Rosary.
  • To provide a communal facility for the area.
  • To be a source of employment in the parish.

The Memorial Centre strives to meet its objectives through its involvement with the religious programmes in the schools, adult spiritual renewal courses, retreats, pastoral meetings, and personal spiritual counselling.

The Centre is a popular tourist attraction in the North Mayo Region especially in the field of religious and historical tourism. It forms part of the “Museums of Mayo” and the “Spiritual & Celtic” networks.

The communal facility that the Centre provides for the locality is very much in demand. Management work in conjunction with Health Services Executive in the provision of recreational facilities for the senior citizens of the area and a meals–on-wheels service. Parishioners avail of the restaurant facilities for family occasions.

Directors:
Fr Thomas A. Mulligan, Fr. Peter Gallagher, Noel Howley, Tom Peyton, Patrick Gaughan,
Kathleen Castro, Patrick Moran.